The Mekong Delta Development Research Institute (MDI) was established in March 2005 based on the expansion of MD Farming Systems R&D Institute (1995), formerly the Department of Rice Science (1976), Can Tho University The Institute’s activities, by well-experienced and specialized staff with international and in-country collaborations, are aimed at sustainable socio-economic development of the Mekong Delta through (i) education and training programs, (ii) research and technology transfer, and (iii) consultancy and implementation of local development programs/projects.
• Farming Systems Research
• Extension methodology and Participatory Technology Development (PTD)
• Techniques in PRA, PPD, PAP, and PME
• Participatory plant breeding and variety selection (PPB/PVS)
• Value chain analysis
• Community participation for rural project development
• Farm household economy management, etc.