FAO is organizing the first ever Global Conference on Sustainable Livestock Transformation from 25 to 27 September 2023 at FAO headquarters, Rome. The event will provide a neutral forum for representatives of FAO Members, producer organizations, research and academic institutions, development agencies, civil society organizations and private sector bodies to engage in dialogues on innovations and pathways to efficiently produce more nutritious, safe and accessible animal source foods with a reduced environmental footprint, and contribute to vibrant local and diversified livestock systems that are more resilient to shocks and disruptions.
FAO supports its Members to strengthen the contribution of livestock systems towards achieving the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). FAO’s work on sustainable livestock systems is at the interface of the four ‘betters’ of the FAO Strategic Framework 2022-31: better production, better nutrition, better environment and a better life. Sustainable livestock systems play important roles in achieving each of these aspirations.
The event is expected to:
- Raise awareness of the contribution of sustainable livestock production to implementing the FAO Strategic Framework 2022-31, to attain the SDGs at global, regional and national levels.
- Share information and knowledge on the strategic direction and technical developments in sustainable livestock production worldwide.
- Establish priorities for the mobilization and pooling of scientific, technical and financial resources to achieve global sustainable livestock transformation.
The event covers four main themes:
- Better livestock production systems: encompassing management and use of feed and animal genetic resources, animal health and welfare, digitalization and precision livestock farming;
- Animal source food for better nutrition: presenting the state-of the-art knowledge on the contribution of animal source food to food security and nutrition and healthy diets;
- Livestock solutions for better environment: sharing information about good practices and initiatives to make optimal use of natural resources and reduce greenhouse gas emissions;
- Better life: including how to support small-scale livestock producers to improve their livelihoods and income through inclusive services and policies, fostering more efficient and resilient livestock production.
Day 1 Session 1 Opening and setting the scene, 25 September (09:30–12:00)
Day 1 Session 2 Better Production, 25 September (14:00–17:00)
Day 2 Session 3 Better Nutrition, 26 September (09:30–12:30)
Day 2 Session 4 Better Environment, 26 September (14:00–17:00)
Day 3 Session 5 Better Life, 27 September (09:30–12:30)
Day 3 Session 6 High-level session and closing, 27 September (14:00–17:00)