Back to Library

A Simple Competitive Enzyme Immunoassay for the Detection of the Trypanocidal Drug Isometamidium

Published by:
Publication date
Type of Publication:
Articles & Journals
Focus Region:
Focus Topic:
Health & Diseases
Type of Risk:
Biological & environmental
Type of Risk Managment Option:
Risk reduction/mitigation
Eisler, M.C.; Elliott, C.T.; Holmes, P.H.

A new competitive enzyme immunoassay technique has been developed for the determination of concentrations of the trypanocidal drug isometamidium chloride (Samorin) in bovine serum. The method has been shown to be highly repeatable and reproducible, and it has several advantages over previous immunoassay techniques for the drug. There are fewer incubation steps overall; microtitre plates may be of coated in batches and stored frozen for future use; and the competition incubation is overnight and is followed only by a brief colour development stage of 10 min. Coefficients of variation (CVs) of duplicate samples were ?5%, and mean response variances of untreated cattle (n = 57) were small (CV, 10%). Partitioning of variance showed 77% of this variability to be intrinsic to the samples, and the remaining 23% was due to the procedure. The limit of detection was approximately 0.5 ng ml-1, which was considered to be satisfactory for the intended use of the method. The drug could be detected in serum of treated cattle for up to 10 weeks following treatment, and determinations showed a high level of reproducibility.